Få den hjælp, som du har brug for

Lær af tusindvis andre der har arbejdet med programmet. Se denne VIDEO hvis du har brug for hjælp til at få startet.

Dagens vigtigste diskussioner

logo

How to help a loved one with Depression

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-03 4:49 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

logo

Stages of change

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Medlemsgruppe drikkeri

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Medlemsgruppe rygning

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

Denne måneds Førende:

Mest Hjælpsomme

Browse gennem 411.761 emner i 47.061 indlæg

160.838 medlemmer

Velkommen til vores nye medlemmer: Sinea, MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS

Introducing Myself

for 9 år siden 0 11224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Richard,

It sounds like you have been through a lot. I can see how temporarily dropping out of a masters program would be discouraging but it sounds like it was the right move for you and your health. I actually think it takes quite a bit of courage to put your health ahead of what you may think you "should" be doing. As for the break-up, it sounds like it was an experience you needed to go through; it sounds like you have learned a lot about yourself and how you want to be in relationships in the future. It's ok to feel a bit guilty sometimes as these difficult feelings push us to change and we all know change is hard, especially without the right incentive. That all being said, it also sounds like you are viewing yourself and new relationships negatively. You yourself even indicated that you know the way you are looking at things is inaccurate. It really is amazing how our thoughts impact our feelings and our lives. I think your work is in overcoming this negative thinking which likely stems from some negative core beliefs.

to get you started think about these questions: How do you want to view dating? How do you want to view yourself as a partner? As a teacher? You may find you still have some work to do to match the view you want to have of yourself - that is normal, we are all a work in progress. Just be sure to also recognize all your positives. For one, I can see that you are a very insightful and reflective person. Many women would love to have that quality in a man. Also, many students would benefit from that from a teacher. 

How are you feeling today?
Ashley, Health Educator
for 9 år siden 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

Brace yourself: this is going to be a long read. 

Yes actually I have made some changes. About 3 weeks ago I decided to temporarily drop out of a masters degree that I had been working towards. I'm about half way through the program, and it was a tough decision, but I found myself in the midst of a full-blown mental health crisis and I felt it was either that or quit my job. I'm an expat in a foreign country, so quitting my job would have also meant going home, and I just felt that would have been more disruption than I could handle.

Its a shame because I really enjoy learning, and the masters (stressful as it was) was a huge source of achievement and stimulation for me. I'd also stopped exercising around the time I had my crisis. In the past (we're talking 2-3 years ago) I used to be heavily into weight lifting. We're talking competitions and all. And I know that regular physical training is a huge mood-booster. But although I've tried to keep up a regular routine here I find it hard to stay motivated without concrete training goals to work towards.

As for triggers, I have definitely identified a few big ones, but I'd better give you some background first. About 6 months ago my girlfriend at the time basically left me for another man. We had been dating one and a half years and had recently moved countries together. I was pretty devastated but for the first 2-3 months I would have still described myself as "grieving" and not "depressed". It was only around say, January, that I started to notice symptoms of textbook depression: feelings of worthlessness, lack of hope for the future, suicidal ideation etc. It actually took me a while to realise what was happening, since I'd always been somewhat on the optimistic side and had never felt like this before.

Although I would consider myself as 90% moved on from the breakup, thinking about her and "what could have been" is still a definite trigger for me. I think a big part of that stems from the fact that I had shamelessly taken her for granted for much of the relationship. I still cringe when I think about some of the things I said and did.

In fact, romantic rejection in general seems to be a major trigger. I've dated quite a lot over the past 6 months but nothing has really "stuck", and every little rejection (girl loses interest after first date, girl stops returning my calls) leads me to end up feeling worthless, like I'll never find someone else, and that I'm somehow fundamentally unattractive. Massive overreaction I know.

My job is also a significant trigger. I'm a teacher, which is a tough job at the best of times. But I'm also currently teaching a subject that is fairly new to me, in a school with a lot of difficult kids. I'm also in the midst of a gradual career change (hence the masters degree). These things together have sapped my confidence to the point where I sometimes feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, that I'm letting my students down, and that I'm somehow just not "cut out" for it.

Anyway, if you've made it this far I commend you. I've actually been feeling significantly better the last few days, so hopefully that trend continues.

Looking forward to your feedback,

- Richard 

Hi Richard,

Hmmmm interesting. Have you made any other changes in your activity, eating, sleeping, social interactions, etc? It is hard to say what can be impacting your mood. Sometimes when we are more consciouse of our thoughts and feelings it can get worse before it will get better. Is there a certain thought or memory that keeps coming up that is causing you to feel negative? What do you think the decrease in mood is related to? How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,

Yes I actually started on the program shortly before posting my introduction. I seem to have hit a wall with my progress though.

The exercises and homework absolutely work in helping bring me out of a negative spiral. A quick (or more intensive) ABC exercise is usually enough to get me back on track and salvage a potentially "bad day".

The issue I am having however is with frequency. I would have thought that as challenging negative thinking starts to become habit the frequency of my "bad days" would decrease. That hasn't happened. In fact, I notice that over the last few weeks in particular I seem to be getting worse.

The intensity is less, for sure, but I find myself feeling "bad" more often than "good".  Whereas before I would feel fine for several days and then have a sudden massive drop.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

- Richard

Welcome rks87,

I am glad you found us and I am sorry to hear what you have been going through. Please get started on the program ASAP. You should start to notice a difference within the first few sessions. Be sure to do all the homework and continue posting in the forums. Post in other members' threads as well as posting in this thread here.

How are you feeling today? Have you had a chance to get started on the program?
Ashley, Health Educator
for 9 år siden 0 65 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Working your way through this program can help.
Hi All,

I'm a 27 year old Aussie male living in Taiwan, and I am currently experiencing clinical depression for the first time in my life.

Although I have plenty of friends here and a supportive family back home,  I often feel scared, helpless and alone.

I'm not getting professional help, and its unlikely that I will any time in the immediate future. The language barrier combined with a lack of awareness about mental health in this country means that its pretty much impossible to find a qualified therapist where I live. So I'm left with little choice but to go it alone until a) I start to get better, or b) I get so bad that I'm forced to just give up and go home.

Hopefully its not going to come to that.

To anyone else suffering out there: you have my sympathy, and sincerest wishes for happiness and recovery.

Be kind to yourselves.

Læser dennne tråd: