Få den hjælp, som du har brug for

Lær af tusindvis andre der har arbejdet med programmet. Se denne VIDEO hvis du har brug for hjælp til at få startet.

Dagens vigtigste diskussioner

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Medlemsgruppe rygning

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Medlemsgruppe rygning

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Medlemsgruppe angst

Denne måneds Førende:

Mest Hjælpsomme

Fik flest Hjerter

Browse gennem 411.765 emner i 47.065 indlæg

161.107 medlemmer

Velkommen til vores nye medlemmer: qazxsw1, PetiteMyth, Caroline16, Pisces83, BazzViol

Hello

for 14 år siden 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HAHA it cut off my message... well this was the end of it : 

wow, thanks for reading (if you got through the whole post... that was a whopper!) and even if you didn't, it feels good to get it out in the open so don't feel bad :)  I can't believe how much I'm sharing here... I don't think the people who know me best would ever believe I could say that much in one go haha 

Noori

ps i forgot about the friend question, yes I have lots of friends but I'm not sure I want to share this kind of information with them... :S  Family support is alright - the ones that I trust have enough issues of their own right now so I wouldn't want to burden them.  
Thanks for the welcomes everyone :) 

The sleep tips were great, thanks, I had the best night I've had in a while last night - sharing everything has been emotionally exhausting but very worthwhile, it actually feels like a physical load is off my chest, it's incredible. 

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions Deb, it makes it easier for me to reply because I just answer instead of just blurting out info about myself haha I'll try to get all of them.... 
1) yes i've thought about a different living situation a LOT, I've brought it up with them as well but for now I've decided to stay because we have a 4th roommate coming in to live with us next year and she and I are very similar (the other two are practically twins and I'm the odd one out right now) and with a bigger house and more space I'm hoping I won't be overwhelmed. I've also realized the importance of taking my alone time - I was constantly trying to interact at the beginning because I thought they would be upset if I didn't but that just backfired completely.  
2) I have a full load of 5 courses this semester, in first year I tried only doing 4 at a time but my marks didn't improve so I decided to stick with 5 because of finances (i would have to stay in school longer if i only took 4 a semester) 
3) I eat very well and try to take care of myself to the best of my ability.  On days with lots of classes I do skip lunch but that's only 2 days a week.  I eat incredibly healthily (I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome which makes my life horrific if I don't, and even sometimes when I do... gah) and I rarely drink caffeine. 
4) I exercise regularly, I run 2-3x a week, walk wherever I can, mountain bike and horseback ride weekly.  In first semester I didn't get out of the house at all practically but I've been trying to change that.  I used to be VERY active in highschool and missed it a lot so I've been gradually adding things back.  
5) Right now I'm not pressuring myself a whole lot, it's more of a guilty thing that I'm not doing better... in highschool I was a super-child doing absolutely everything, top of my classes, leadership awards, volunteering 10+ hours a week, several sports teams etc... and still managing to be depressed throughout it, pressuring myself was an issue back then.... now I've cut back on the majority of my activities and my marks are low (not failing but very low in comparison to what I know I can achieve) but since no-one in university knows any better there's not a whole lot of pressure from them or myself.  

Overall, I take very good care of my body and have actively been trying to improve on aspects of my life that I'm unhappy with.  I guess that was part of the reason that I was so surprised when both the online test here and the one the counsellor gave me came back as "severely depressed", I'm doing much better than I was in first semester, guess I still have a ways to go.... 
The lack of sleep has been because of racing thoughts that just wont' calm down and some guilt and worry for being so underproductive, not wanting to be social, what is wrong with me etc.... I've always been described as "the strong one" but the people that rely on me have no idea whats actually going on inside my head.  I'm also very worried because my summer job is developing and running a month-long leadership program for a group of 15yr olds and right now I'm in absolutely no shape to be doing it.  I would break down within days and that would be bad for me, the kids, the camp, everyone...... 

wow, thanks for reading (if you got through the whole post... that was a whop
for 14 år siden 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Noori :)

I was really moved by your post.  You are so young and yet you are willing to reach out.  What a wonderful start to your new, independent life.  Being an introvert, it isn't too surprising that you are exhausted living with extroverts.  Have you thought about a different living situation?  You might have constraints like most of us had in college.

Sorry!  Lots of questions.  What kind of load have you taken on this quarter/semester?  Do you have enough to eat?  Do you have friends in college?  Family support?  Are you able to get out and exercise????  Again, sorry.  I know it takes a lot of energy to do college without answering tons of questions from anonymous strangers.

My first bout with depression was when I was an undergrad.  I couldn't sleep at all, was very overwhelmed even though I ended up graduating with honors..... I put so much pressure on myself.  Are you pressuring yourself too????

Tell us more if you're able.  Share your suffering.  This is the best place to start and I'm glad you were given guidance in this direction.  Since we've all been through it, there is no judgment.  Just support.
Deb
for 14 år siden 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello there Noori, welcome to the forums!
I can say that the program is a great way to work through your feelings and get a better understanding of depression, hopefully yo'ull take a look at it and join in on the discussion. I know you said you are a bit reserved, but you know what, having an online identity is a great way to start sharing and talking with others, and don't worry we won't judge you, we are in the same boat as you!

What do you think is causing you to lack sleep? Do you get out enough during the day? For me when I had sleeping issues I found it was because I would literally spend the whole day moping around, getting out of the house at least once and doing something, even if it was just going to check the mail or going for walk, made me at least a little bit tired. I also didn't allow myself o have any naps...that helped.

Well, hope to hear from you soon!

Kat

for 14 år siden 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Noori and welcome to our support group!

As you have already noticed, you will find people on here who are going through experiences similar to yours. Take the time to read through the forums and share your experiences and input with us. There is also the program that may be helpful, and a group program walk through for each sessions on the forum, where you can find the support you need from others!

In regards to not being able to sleep. Here are a few tips that may be helpful:

•Try to get on a sleep schedule. Go to bed at a regular time each night and get up at a regular time in the morning. Try to not stay up late watching TV and try not to sleep during the day. If you get on a sleep schedule, we guarantee that you’ll begin to feel better.

•Try to make the room you sleep in as quiet as possible. Consider ear plugs or a sleep mask.

•Use your bed only for sleeping. Don’t lounge around in your bed. If you spend too much time lounging in bed, watching T.V., drinking coffee, or eating, your body will learn that your bed is NOT a place for sleeping.

•If you can’t sleep after half an hour in bed don’t stay in bed trying to sleep. Get up and do some quiet activity. For example, read a book for a half hour and then try going back to bed. If you still can’t sleep, get up and do something quiet once again.

•Try to keep your bedroom at a comfortable temperature - not too cold and not too hot.

•Try to get some exercise every day. You’ll feel better and sleep will come much quicker.

•Try not to exercise or work hard late in the evening. It could make you feel ‘wired’.

•Don’t drink anything with caffeine or alcohol for 4 hours before you go to bed.

•Try not to eat a heavy meal in the evening. Don’t eat just before you go to bed.

•If you’re not sleeping at night, avoid naps during the day.

•Use relaxation techniques. Box breathing may help you relax at bed time.

Come back often and let us know how you are doing!

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
for 14 år siden 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to our group Noori!  You'll find a wealth of helpful information in this program.  I look forward to reading your posts.  Sorry you are having difficulty with sleeping and I hope you can get a restful night's sleep soon.

Cheers
Hi Everyone, 
I am a 21yr old undergrad student.  I've always had problems with mood and depression but today is the first time I have ever actively sought help for them.  I went to the drop in counselling services at my university and they recommended this site as a good first step for me.  I was coerced into therapy in grade 11 by my mother but dropped out quickly.  Needless to say it hasn't been going too well lately, I used to be able to function for short periods of time and then collapse when I got home but lately I don't have any personal space (I live with roommates, very sociable, extroverted, talkative roommates haha) and my marks, mood, motivation and relationships have all been going downhill to the point where I cannot cope.  I have always been an incredibly reserved girl and reluctant to share my thoughts and feelings so this is going to be a big challenge I'm sure.  The worst of my problems right now is an inability to get to and stay asleep (which I'm sure many of you can relate to).  I only sleep a few hours some nights and occasionally not at all and its really starting to take its toll on me.  The counsellor today also mentioned anxiety which was surprising to me but we figured out that it is anxiety related to my mood and relationships.  Talking to the counsellor was really an eye-opening experience because I realized that feeling like this is not normal (I always just thought I was very introverted with some weird issues of my own).  I'm very glad that there is such a wealth of resources available and that this forum is online - I cannot imagine being so open like this in a group setting but the internet gives a nice sense of being anonymous.  
Thank you in advance for being so welcoming and helpful (I've read many others' posts already lol) and I hope that this site is as successful for me as it has been for others. 
Noori

Læser dennne tråd:

© Copyright 2024 Evolution Health. All Rights Reserved.