Få den hjælp, som du har brug for

Lær af tusindvis andre der har arbejdet med programmet. Se denne VIDEO hvis du har brug for hjælp til at få startet.

Dagens vigtigste diskussioner

logo

How to help a loved one with Depression

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-03 4:49 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

logo

Stages of change

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Medlemsgruppe drikkeri

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Medlemsgruppe rygning

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Medlemsgruppe depression

Denne måneds Førende:

Mest Hjælpsomme

Browse gennem 411.761 emner i 47.061 indlæg

160.829 medlemmer

Velkommen til vores nye medlemmer: MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO

Good stuff happens too

for 16 år siden 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Guys... There IS something good happening today.. I woke at 8:30 and didn't make coffee or go out to buy cigarettes. At midday, I went to town, had lunch but didn't buy cigarettes. I'm home now and I haven't smoked and it's almost 3 pm... I'm going to sit and relax for the rest of the afternoon.
for 16 år siden 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep trying, DL. It apparently works a different way for everyone. I only ever gave an honest attempt at quitting once (about ten years ago) and I was doing fine until I went to a wedding, and everyone was drinking and smoking etc.........all over. I think that when I quit I will have to quit a lot of things. You seem to have the desire to quit, and that is more than half the battle.
Thanks for the sympathy and support, Confused. I broke the addiction once before in 1985 and it was through Smokenders where we met every week and folowed a reduction of nicotine plan. It worked for 6 months... This time I think I'll get in touch with the local health authority and join a stop-smoking group ... being with other people in a room helped once... I'll try it again... I'll try in the meantime to delay smoking for 2 hours and then three and so on when i wake in the morning and stop making coffee... thanks for the suggestions
for 16 år siden 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I quit smoking 15 or so years ago, I found that the hardest part of it wasn't so much the addiction to nicotine but the habit of the cigarette. The first few days were excruciating -- going through withdrawal while still going through my days as I had before, with all the triggers tormenting me -- drinking coffee, dinner out with friends who smoked, talking on the phone in my office, reading, watching tv... I then decided to turn my world upside down for a bit. Obviously, there were some triggers that I couldn't not do, but there were several that I could eliminate for awhile and replace with non-smoking activities and/or places. It really did help -- 2 or 3 weeks and I found that I could read the newspaper at the kitchen table without really thinking much about having a cigarette. I certainly didn't automatically reach for one. And gradually I brought my normal life back, though it was a very long time before I could even drink coffee again, let alone drink it without thinking about cigarettes. When you're ready, would it be possible to get away for a week or 2? Not far, necessarily, just away from the things and activities that trigger your desire for a smoke. Ideally someplace where you can be active. The other thing I did was, I think, peculiar to me and the way I think. I find that if I try to deny myself something, I want it even more, so I carried an unopened pack of cigarettes around with me. Having them there in case I ever wanted one brought my area of control down to one small impulse, and that I could do. Having to control the whole going to the store, buying the cigarettes, opening the pack and having a smoke was too large for me, I think. Anyway, whatever the reason, it worked for me. Another thing you could do, as I think about that sense of overwhelm, is to chunk it down: first day, you commit to yourself that you're not going to have a cigarette until 8pm. Do that each day until the daytime habit is completely broken, which may take weeks or even months. Then you commit to not smoking during the week at all (though you can view Friday after 8pm as the weekend :)). Or whatever chunks work for you. Some people prefer to just whip the BandAid off in one pull, other people prefer to ease it off gently -- they all get the same result in the end. Don't beat yourself up for giving in to the urge -- it may take a few attempts, but you'll get there. :)
Thanks all of you for your support... I know that I'll do it but I have to learn the awful mindset of the addiction better than I have so far....
Big Bummer, I'm afraid... I was just not ready to quit this morning. I'm going to take a couple of days and try again...
for 16 år siden 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Daily Llama.......... I've heard nothing but great things about this Champix stuff. I'm not quite ready to give up my best friend and only vice yet, but when I am, I'd like to give it a try. Please keep me posted on your progress. Brassin
Thank you Confused and Danielle, I want to get this quitting done before I get any further into lung trouble... thanks for the encouragement....
for 16 år siden 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Go Daily Llama Go! You're working so hard and we are so proud of you! Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
for 16 år siden 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's wonderful, DL! What a huge step, but you've put the support in place to be successful -- with that, your determination, and all of us cheering for you, you'll be happily smoke-free in no time. Good luck!

Læser dennne tråd: